Where did I get that outfit? lol

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Checking In

Just a short update since it's been so long.  Today is the 30th and it would have been 11 days till my marathon.  I was in week 20 (a few weeks ago) doing a 12 miles, which was a short walk considering I had done 20 miles the Saturday before.  It was raining and so I had decided to do my 12 miles at the gym.  Not even sure how I managed it but right around mile 11 I got a cramp in my right foot, guess I kind of lost my balance and before I knew it I had stoved my left foot into the machine and bent my toes back to the point it felt like something cracked.  I hobbled out of the gym to the van, called Mike and started to cry saying I think I might have just broke my foot.

I have never broke anything in my life so at that point I was in a state of shock and to think just 4 weeks from my marathon that I've been working towards for like 4 yrs now it seems.  So I went home and we took my shoe off and checked the foot out.  No bruising, no swelling, it looked pretty normal but it sure didn't feel normal.  Mike kept assuring me it was just a strain or something and that given a bit of time I'd be just fine.  Of course I so badly wanted to believe him but deep down I had a feeling it wasn't going to go that well.  I cried and cried and then decided to lay down and hope that I would magically wake up and everything would be ok.  3 hours later I awoke to not being able to walk on the foot at all and it starting to swell.  It was after 10pm by then but I told Mike I thought I better go to the hospital so we did.  As I was getting x-rayed I told the tech that I had a marathon I was walking in 4 weeks and her next words confirmed my fears "probably not" she said.  

She took me back to our room and when the doc came in I knew what she was going to say.  She said how sorry she was about my marathon and confirmed that yes I had broken my foot and that I had broke it in a place that was hard to heal.  I had broke the long bone off the pinkie toe along the side of my foot.  She also mentioned the swimmer that had swam to Cuba and how it had taken her 5 tries to finally make it.  Tears started to roll down my face and I was officially heart broken.  

It's now 2 weeks later, I've been in a pretty purple cast and trying to adjust to life not being able to put any weight on my foot.  I got myself a knee walker which has been great getting around on so at least I'm not on crutches all day long.  Everything feels like a chore and I swear it feels like I'm back in the fat days lol.  But I'm focusing on good nutrition and reading everything I can on bone health/mending so that I can have the best outcome as the doc has told me if after 6 weeks in the cast the bone isn't mending then I will have to have surgery to put a screw in.  If it is healing then I will probably have 6 more weeks in a walking cast after that.  So I'm looking at 3 months minimum recovery.  

I'm not sure what lessons I'm suppose to learn from this but I know for sure one is definitely patience. 

Mike has been great and so have the kids so I'm managing.  I'm not sleeping well at night so working has been tough but my boss has been great and so if I need an extra hour of sleep in the morning I take it.  I think he's just grateful I'm coming to work.  

So that's life for me these days.  I'm doing my best to stay up beat and since it's that time of year for me to do my yearly visits to my TOPS chapters that's what I've been planning so hopefully it will help keep me motivated and maybe help someone else.  

I've been checking up on many of you and it seems most are doing well.  I'm sorry I'm not commenting as much as I'd like but not able to from work. I miss it here and really should try to get back to at least weekly posting as I know it helps me to just ramble on :) well I should get to bed.

Hugs to you all.

Till next time...

16 comments:

Carla Birnberg said...

BIG BIG BIG HUGS from a MISFIT who knows all to well about PATIENCE too.

Anna Marie said...

Oh Dawn,

I am so sorry to hear about all of this. Truthfully I can't seem to find words to comfort you. I hope your foot heals properly and well, and that you will not need surgery.
I hope you are feeling better soon and your family is doing well.

Many hugs,

Lori said...

I was just thinking about you this morning and that I was going to email and see how you were and this post popped up in my reader.

I am so sorry about your foot! Take advantage of being pampered, though. If you can't do the marathon, at least get lots of extra attention out of it.

Suzanne said...

What a disappointment when you have really been looking forward to the marathon! I'm so sorry and having had fractured bones in my foot I can only imagine how painful it must be.

MaryFran said...

Hugs to you!!!!! Heal soon!!!!!

Amanda @ Click. The Good News said...

oh no! i'm so sorry to hear both about your foot & about having to miss the marathon. Don't think of finishing the race itself as all or nothing, 100%. you did 95% of the work to get there & look how much you proved to yourself along the way. I hope your toes heal soon & we get more updates :)

Kari said...

Oh no!!!!!! I'm so sorry Dawn! UGHHHHHH! I wish that I had amazing words to share that would encourage you. This just plain stinks. I am glad to hear that the family is taking care of you. Take care!

Stacy Walenta said...

Dawn, I'm so sorry about your foot, your marathon and that I haven't stopped by in a year or more.

Hang in there hon! You've overcome so many other things that were bigger that a broken bone.

Speedy healing thoughts,
Stacy
(Formerly of Praying for Lightening)

Vickie said...

Darling. So sorry.

I broke long bone of foot connected to pinky in summer of 2012. ( Metatarsal) I broke my bone long wise (not like you cut a hot dog, but length of bone).

I healed perfectly, but it was a long process.

I was in walking cast from 5/24/12 until sometime in Sept/Oct.

there is a product called an EvenUp which goes on bottom of other foot's shoe to even up your hips so you do not throw out your knees/back/hips with walking boots. Extremely important.

I also had to switch out most of my shoes at end of process. I still have metal plate under my inserts in bottom of athletic shoes I use for lunges and squats.

Do not rush the process, be extremely careful.

It is possible to get this to heal with no long lasting effects if you are very careful.

But honestly, today, more than a year after I transitioned out of boot, I would not walk a 5k let alone a marathon, just too much pounding on that foot. I use elliptical because there is no impact.

I wrote extensively about my process, you will find those posts starting 5/23-5/24/12 when I broke it.

I took my youngest to Mayo, had a 3 day college orientation with my middle, apartment shopped on east coast with my oldest, moved my middle into college, all in a boot that very hot summer.

Vickie said...

You can do a lot of upper body work with hand weights and a lot of core work like Pilates in a cast or a boot. Be extremely careful in what you eat during this process. Your foot cannot handle any extra weight.

Jane Cartelli said...

Wow, I am so sorry you were injured but grateful you are recovering and taking care of yourself. These things never seem to happen when we are fat and sitting on the sofa all day with nothing to do, right? They only happen when we are busy and active and striving for better health and fitness. I bet you would go through the foot incident all again rather then return to a half life spent on the sofa. I am so happy you are still doing what you can do for your continued recovery.

Dana Cipolla said...

Oh WOW! So sorry this has happened to you. It did take the swimmer FIVE tries to make her goal. You will make yours as well. You have the drive.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hugs and love coming your way!

Kevin Dass said...

First i read about you as i come across your site. You are really an inspiration, from there to here of your weight lost journey..

Sorry about the incident, hope you are Ok now. Remember, there's always a next time.

www.losecheekfatsite.com

Vickie said...

How are things going?

that TOPS lady said...

I miss your regular postings :) I hope the foot is feeling better!

kristi said...

So sorry about this!